A Guide to transferring your vehicle from one state to another in India

Transferring a vehicle from one state to another in India can be a challenging process that demands a thorough understanding of the RTO rules and regulations. The process involves re-registering the vehicle, and failure to do so can result in a fine. This article will provide an overview of the RTO rules for transferring vehicles from one state to another in India.

Conditions Requiring Re-Registration:

When a vehicle owner plans to use their automobile in another state for a year or more, they must re-register the vehicle in the destination state. The road tax will be charged again, and the amount will be determined by the vehicle’s depreciated value. The car owner will get compensation for the road tax previously paid in the prior state by producing the fresh road tax receipt. They will then be required to follow the destination state’s re-registration rules.

Procedure for Vehicle Re-Registration To re-register a vehicle, the following steps need to be followed:

  1. Obtain a No-Objection Certificate (NOC): The first step is to acquire a No-Objection Certificate from the local RTO where the vehicle was initially registered.
  2. Transport the vehicle to the destination state: Once you have received the No-Objection Certificate from the RTO, you can transport the vehicle to the new state where you will be living.
  3. Visit the new state RTO: Go to the local RTO where you will be residing. Don’t forget to bring all of the necessary documentation.
  4. Submit the Paperwork: Double-check all of your paperwork before submitting them to the RTO.
  5. Fill Out a Fresh Road-tax Challan: The Destination State’s RTO will give you a fresh road-tax challan. Pay the fees that are required.
  6. Vehicle Verification: Have the vehicle verified by an RTO official. An officer or an agent will collect the chassis number imprint.
  7. Acquire the Registration Certificate: Once the verification process is finished, you can pick up your new state’s Registration Certificate.

Requirement Documents To re-register a vehicle, the following documents are required:

- Advertisement -

  1. Form 28 – Application for the No-Objection Certificate as well as Certificate Grant
  2. Attested copy of your Registration Certificate
  3. Paperwork proving payment of Road Tax (This document is only relevant for commercial vehicles).
  4. The vehicle’s proper insurance documentation
  5. The vehicle’s PUC certificate.
  6. No-Objection Certificate from the traffic cops indicating zero penalties or dues
  7. NCRB approval (This is only required in a few states).
  8. If the vehicle is hypothecated, a letter of authorization from the financing banking institution.

Cancelling No-Objection Certificate:

If you decide to postpone or cancel your interstate transfer, you may cancel your No-Objection Certificate. You must apply for the revocation of the No-Objection Certificate issued by the original RTO.

Points to Note – It is essential to remember the following points while transferring a vehicle from one state to another:

  • Road tax varies by state and is also affected by the age of the vehicle.
  • If an automobile is registered in a state and subsequently relocated and utilized in any other state for 12 months or more, the application form for re-registration of the vehicle must be filed within 30 days after the expiration of the 12-month period. If this procedure is not completed, the automobile owner will be fined.
  • Ensure that you have all necessary documentation with you when you go to the destination state’s RTO to get your automobile re-registered.
  • You need to inform your insurance provider whenever you are planning to move.

*The above information is for illustrative purpose only.